Thursday, August 9, 2007

Our saving fun!




About 9 years ago I became great friends with a lady named Michelle Richins whom I adore. She has 7 children of her own (the last two being twin girls) anywhoo, she told me that every year to save for their family vacation they would save all their change--she dealt in cash and would purposefully make change when she paid for things and come home and put it in the jar. I have been trying to get my family to practice this, but we have never stayed committed to it; until this year. Last September when we got home from our San Diego trip I found a jar and said "that's it, this time we are going to do it!" So we have been saving our change and dumping in dollars here and there and for family night this past week it was time to count our efforts. $751.00 was our grand total!!! I was very proud of us; especially because it's only been in the last 6 months we got serious about it. The kids have had a lot of fun finding change and running to the vacation jar and they had even more fun sorting, counting and rolling all the change. It was a good experience for the kids and we had fun doing it!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great idea! Sounds like there's a fun vacation in your future.

See it Try it Love it said...

Wow, that is amazing. We do that every year for our Cali trip but we only get around $150. Since Stephen is the only one that puts change in, since I never use cash. We really need to step it up though, $750 would be a whole lot better. Have fun in Cali.

Tiffany said...

Thats awesome! I wish we would have done that!! FUN FUN!!

Tiffany said...

NICE SONG!! :)

The Richins Family said...

man, you guys rock! i have never thought of that. but that's so what we are going to do, because we seem to never have any money and use our savings, so bad! i am proud of you. you are going to have so much fun.

Jamie W. said...

Great Idea. Wow $750. I am going to start a vacation jar today. You got me way to excited.