Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our worst Nightmare
















So as a mother of a large family one of my greatest fears has always been that some accident would happen and some person/Dr/Nurse etc. would get suspicious and call CPS on us. I have heard so many horror stories about families being torn apart when there was no cause to do so and so I have always been afraid of that just out of the sheer numbers we have here and because kids will be kids, they fall, they get hurt, stuff happens. Well, our worst nightmare, became a reality this weekend. Thursday night Brigham and Devin were playing and Brigg was running down the hall away from Devin and as he ran by a table, at the last second, he decided to duck under the table and hide. Since he stopped so quick and turned, it snapped his femur. At first we thought maybe he just dislocated his knee or something bc there was no swelling but after 20 min of non stop screaming we decided Devin should take him to the ER. This was around 9:30 at night. Around midnight Devin called me to tell me it was broken and that they were transferring him to St. Joes and he was going to have to have surgery to set it and possibly put a pin in it. So of course I didn't sleep the rest of the night worrying about my poor baby. Well, I made arrangements for the rest of the kids and after I got the kids out the door for school I was headed out the door around 9 am when I got the call from Devin that CPS was on there way down to the hospital. He was a wreck, I felt like I was going to pass out or through up, or both. So I rushed to the hospital, sobbing all the way there, calling all of our family asking them to please say a prayer that everything would be ok. When I got there the CPS worker was already there talking to Devin so she continued the interview and then let us know that she needed to go out to the house to meet with the rest of the kids......panic attack #2. Devin and I couldn't leave bc Brigg was scheduled for surgery @ 4:00 so my mom was left to be the one to deal with that. When my mom got to my house my two sister in laws and brother in law were there straitening up, putting on outlet covers, putting up cleansers, medications, everything. It was amazing! So things went fine with that. The kid behaved well and the lady was nice and told my mom everything looked good and she was going to write up her report and close the case. Briggs surgery went fine, no pin, thank goodness. They just set his leg and put his cast on. He will be in this miserable cast for 2 months poor baby!!! So we thought we would be going home soon, until the Dr. on Saturday told us that they were going to do a full body X-ray to check for any other injuries as well as an eye exam to make sure that his retinas had not been detached from his eyes (shaken baby syndrome) panic attack #3! So they did all that Sat. night, spent another miserable night there. Finally found out Sunday morning that everything came back perfect (duh!!!) and he was medically cleared to go, but now we had to wait for a phone call from CPS saying that we could take him home. AHHHHHHH!!! We were dying to get out of there and have this whole entire nightmare be over! So finally at 6:00 we were able to take him home! He is SOOOO happy to be home and we are SOOOO happy to be home with all of our kids!! I am so incredibly grateful for all of our family and their prayers and their love, concern, and help. While I was driving to the hospital after I had called everyone, the closer I got, I started to feel this warm calming feeling come over me and I knew it was every ones prayers....it felt like a blanket, it was so amazing! I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood and for blessings. I love my family so much and don't know how I could ever live without any of my children. I feel like a mother hen and I just want to gather all my chicks under my wings and keep them there forever! I thank the Lord every day for keeping us safe, but especially this weekend, for keeping us a family!

19 comments:

Crystal said...

I totally dreamt about Brigg last night. About him hobbling around in his two-legged cast.

Also - thank goodness the cast is blue, coordinates with the colors we had picked out for family pictures.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! What a scary situation! I'm glad everything turned out alright. Is it standard for CPS to come in situations like that? At least you have faced your worst nightmare and you passed, right? ;)

Amanda said...

You poor thing! And him! Oh my goodness I know no boy wants to be in a cast and not get to run around!

I am glad that everything turned out OK, but we knew it would!

I still think you are AMAZING!!! I am sure you have PLENTY of people who can back that up!

Katie said...

What a nightmare Kristina! I'm so grateful they saw that you are a good family and dropped the case.

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

Oh Kristina that is so horrible. That whole story was aweful. Poor you as a mom, poor Devin feeling so bad and having to deal with that and mostly POOR baby. OUCH!! You guys are great and very blessed in many ways. Take care.

Irma said...

Ahh poor guy...hopefully it heals up properly.
What an experience to go through....like you need the added stress..especially when you are already juggling extra, out of routine activity in a busy household.

Casts are no fun...at least it's not swimming weather, huh?! (-:

Our third child, Natalie fell off the monkey bars at home and broke her elbow. She ended up almost two years later having it rebroken and set with pins, since her arm was growing crooked...something about interference with how it healed, pinching her growing plate...anyway after all that it still doesn't seem much better. I sure hope your son won't need pins down the road!

Quinn & Ogden Nash said...

Kristina I am so greatful that everything turned out ok. You are an amazing mother!

buddyandsarahaws said...

I am so sorry! We just had a hospital nightmare with Chloe and we were so worried about the same thing. Its so scary to think that someone could think that you could hurt you child. I am so glad that everything turned out fine. I feel bad for him and you that he has to have the cast for 2 months. YUCK!

Marie said...

Wow - sounds like total craziness. I'm glad everyones doing good. Poor little guy. I'm sure 2months in that horrible cast is going to feel like an eternity to him - good luck!

Jen Johnson said...

ok,,that is any parents nightmare. Prayer and the Priesthood is amazing and the Lord is always watching out for us! I am glad your little one is doing good. Tyler was in and out of hospitals for two years with asthma and couple of broken bones - it is hard to watch your child in pain, hooked to tubes and such! Tyler is almost grown out of asthma and hopefully no more broken bones for awhile, thank goodness.

jen j

ginger said...

i'm soooo sorry... poor little guy. i'm sure he'll be getting some extra lovin from everyone though & then he'll expect it when he's all better :)

Renée said...

Holy Crap.....excuse the expression. That sounds horrible. It is crazy that you are scared and worried for your son and on top of that you have to worry about being under a microscope. Leena broke her leg when she was 2, playing with her daddy and we were just waiting to be called. It didn't happen thank goodness. Glad everything is okay. Awesome family too!

arizonamama said...

How horrific! My sister had a similar situation a couple of years ago and now she's afraid to take her kids to the hospital for ANYTHING. I'm so glad he's okay and home where he belongs.

The Cronin Family said...

Oh that's so sad. Let us know if there is anything we can do for him. Poor Little guy!

Sar said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad he's happy to be home. . . We'll see you soon!

Jacey said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. I hope things get back to normal for you guys and you can enjoy your holidays. Hang in there!

Michelle said...

Poor Guy. We need to plan for the girls to come spend the night sometime. They kept asking me at church when they could come sleep over. Even Aubree has been asking. After the holidays but maybe before they all go back to school?

Erica said...

I am so glad thay everything turned out okay! When Tiff called me Immediatly said a prayer for you! What a nightmare!

Hollie said...

hey girl...wow! what excitement over at your house...my house is boring compared to yours! :) what an awesome and amazing family you have to come over and help you fast! i need your phone number! i am coming to your ward the sun after christmas..cant wait to see you!