Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Meet the Hulk!!








Meet our new little man! Hyrum "Ryker" Tietjen joined our family @ 11:42 am Monday March 10th. After a long week of contractions and one trip to the hospital, we went in for our induction on Sunday night at 9:00pm. I tested positive for Strep B, so they spent the 1st 8 hours giving me antibiotics, started pitocin at 6:30 Monday morning and he was here before lunch! It actually seemed quite long for me because usually within 1 hour of the Dr. breaking my water I am delivering, but this time was different. His head was turned weird and it wasn't in the right position so dilating was taking longer than it should have. The only scare we had was about an hour before I had him they were flipping me (and when I say "they were flipping me" I am being very literal! They were having a hard time getting the pain under control and had me so drugged that I could not move at all, so Devin and the nurse had to literally pick up my lower body and turn me from side to side!) Anyways, one time they flipped me on my left side and the babies heart rate dropped to 60, so they hurried and flipped me back to the other side and it still didn't come up so the nurse was in a panic, yelling for help and for someone to get my Doctor there, trying to move me around to see if it would go back up. It was a nightmare! I could see the panic in her face and I just laid there thinking, "oh my gosh my baby is dying and they are going to have to cut me open" That is the most awful sound I have ever heard, is that little heartbeat getting slower and slower! Thank goodness after about 5 min. his heart rate slowly started coming back up and the Dr. got there and said what had probably happened is that the cord was tangled somewhere and when I turned to that side the pressure of the baby pinched on the cord and was cutting of the blood supply to the baby. Which it was, the cord was wrapped once around his neck. Talk about scary! I am just so thankful that everything turned out good! Oh wait! I think I have forgotten the most wonderful part! Ryker Tietjen is 22 inches long and 11 POUNDS!!! No that is not a typo, no I'm not kidding he weighs 11 pounds! All his little fat rolls are so adorable! His face is still swollen and bruised from the delivery, but I just want to eat his huge chubby cheeks! I had over a dozen nurses yesterday knock on the door asking if they could come in and see the 11 pound baby, cuz they had never seen a new baby that big before! It was really funny! I was at the new Banner Gateway hospital and they said he is the biggest baby that has been delivered there since they opened (about 5 months ago I think) I really think I should have won a prize like free diapers until someone broke that record! HA!HA! I am so grateful that he is here, and that we had a safe delivery. (and to answer the other questions that I have been getting; no, no C-Section and no tearing.) His head actually isn't that big....15", which for me isn't my biggest. Austins head was 16". I don't know where these huge babies come from, but it makes me feel better about being so huge before delivery!! :) Thanks to everyone who came and saw us in the hospital and a HUGE thank you to my sister Amanda & her hubby James, who stayed at my house to take care of the kids; as well as my Mom & Dad, Tiffany and Camille! I could never relax at the hospital if I didn't know that my kids were being well taken care of; and that is a huge feat! I was a little sad to come home today; ONLY because I know I wont get to hold him very much now that I have to share him with 7 kids! Actually I love that my kids love him so much; even if Mason doesn't like his name "cuz it is weird" :) Welcome home Ryker, we Love You!!

24 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats! If I would have known you were so close I would have come to see you. He is a doll. I have been waiting for a picture. What a trooper you are. Again congrats.

Jen Tucker said...

Congrats Kris! You are amazing. 11 lbs. and I thought Brodee was big at 10.1 lbs. When I was in the hospital with him one of the nurses yelled down the hall right out side my door. The nursery is okay now the GIANT baby is gone. People would tell me a had a 3 month old baby well I guess you had a 5 month old baby. Congrats and I love those Cheeks. He is adorable!!!

Heather said...

YAY! I am so glad you posted photos and his birth story! He is a very sweet boy! You are so strong to endure that much drama surrounding his birth! We're so so glad he is here safe and sound! I'm sad you're at home now to because it's not as convenient for me as the hospital was to buzz over and hold him!

Unknown said...

Congrats. That sounded like one heck of a ride. I am glad that he came safe. I can't believe 11 lbs WOW!!! My biggest was 9 lbs and I thought that was pretty big we joked that he was like a toddler coming out. I am happy for you and your family. Enjoy your new bundle. We are expecting our 4th right now, it is so fun.

Gramps said...

What an adorable baby and beautiful mom. Congratulations - glad to hear the big day is finally over for you. Give all of your kids a big hug from us. Damon and Tina

Amanda said...

I still think you are crazy! I know you don't want to hear that, but you are! Cute baby though. I love the name. I like unusual ones and that is unusual.

Enjoy, I know you never have a dull moment in your house!!

Amanda said...

Congratulations! It's a good thing he was #8, huh? An 11 pounder might have been more of a challenge the first go round. I'm glad everything turned out well for you. He sure is a little cutie!

The Fears said...

Congrats! He is so cute. I love the pics. Let me know if I can do anything for you...please!!

Anonymous said...

Dang Kristina, you are woman! I forgive you for beating me since he was so big. =)

The Young's said...

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!!!

Tell Hunter that Brother and Sister Young said HI and that we miss the class! :)

Anonymous said...

You are crazy to already have a blog spot done. You look great! I only wish I looked that good in a hospital bed. You are amazing!!!
Jorgi

Sar said...

Kristina, Oh my goodness, he is so cute! I just want to kiss his little cheeks and hands. I have a baby hand thing. . . I love them! That is so funny that the nurses kept coming in to see him. I'm glad everyone is loving their new little brother.

maelynn said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Saralyn had told me what a big one you had!! It's another thing to see pictures though! He's gonna catch up to Joah soon! And Joah's big!
He is so cute. And I really like that name! I can't believe Mason thinks it's weird!
OK, a few questions here...was it worth the wait to have a surprise? Did you have "a feeling" that you would have a boy? And, seriously, how does someone your size fit an 11 pounder inside? Was he really 2 weeks early?
You really should get free diapers. Not only for having the biggest baby born there, but for having 8 cute kids! What a beautiful family you and Devin have. I am so happy for you all!

Victor and Annette said...

How exciting and congratulations! He is very cute. I love the picture of your family, it shows all the love you have in your family. Good luck!

Hambrick said...

Yeah! #8. We are thrilled for you and your growing family. I love the name. My new nephew is named "Ryken" so I thinks it's great. Thanks for the undates. Try to get some sleep. Love Stacy

Cedar said...

Congrats Kristina! You really are an amazing person and looked so great at 9 months prego! I LOVE the name Ryker. I am so glad things turned out ok and he is finally here! Good Luck with everything- you are such a great mom!

Lyle and Jaime said...

Way to go! Wow 11 pounds is the biggest newborn I have heard of. I've heard of 10 pounders but man...You looked great by the way at the end of your pregnancy. And you have a beautiful family! Congratulations and I really like his name! Ryker is very cute. The chubby babies are the cutest; he just started that way rather then gaining it later. Good job Ryker!

Miss Fergie said...

Congradulations! I still need to pick my mouth up off the floor from that 11 pound thing. I delivered Taylor at the same hospital right when it opened. I though it was so nice. You are awesome to take on that many kids!

Kim Skinner said...

Congrats! I feel your pain after having a 10 lb 7 oz one of my own. You guys look like one BIG happy family!

Marie said...

I love his squishy cheeks. Chubby babies are so cute! You are so amazing! Congrats to you and the rest of the clan!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the big boy. I found your blog while blog hopping. Kayla Liles told me that you were prego I had no idea you were that far along. Good job on the chubbie man. You've got me beat too.
My first was 10 lbs 14 oz, ouch is all I have to say. I had lots of back labor and terrible pain after the eppidural wore off. It took me 4 years to get up the nerve to do that again.
You are "The Woman!"

Kristine Thompson said...

Congratulations! I can't believe you have eight kids! How are you feeling now? I don't know how you do it- your amazing! Your baby is so chubby, he's so cute :) I am almost there I still have 5 weeks, but that is definitely getting closer, I can hardly stand it anymore. By the end of the day my feet hurt so bad. Hey can you send me your address? Jacque is giving me a shower and it would be so fun to see you, If you could come. Congratulations again!

See it Try it Love it said...

What a great story. You are one tough Mama. Definitely one for the history books. Can't wait to see the big/little guy. I love the name. Hope you are doing great let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.