Friday, July 11, 2008

My very bad day! **a MUST read**

OK, I try really hard not to blog about bad days that I have because quite frankly I enjoy trying to keep up this "act" of what a great mom I am and how well I handle everything. HA! But after the events that unfolded today, I couldn't help but preserve it for all time. :)

The day started out at 3:00 am when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep for an hour, after being up once already to feed Ryker and fed him again before I pulled my butt out of bed at 8:00. I went to get groceries and came home to Devin telling me he thinks he is taking our cat to the pound b/c he peed on the carpet upstairs and my WHOLE house reeks of cat pee!!! NASTY! Then Devin was off to work and I proceeded to clean up spilled milk, sweep up the cookies that Devin fed the twins for breakfast, wipe up the go-gert that Brigham splattered all over the floors and walls, got Brinley off the counters 3 times, fed Ryker, all the while my children are raiding the grocery sacks and eating yogurt, making bagels, eating cereal and I am listening to "mom, can you, mom can you, mom can you" about a hundred times. So after all of this I clean up the bagels, the cereal, the yogurt wrappers, re sweep the floor, get Brinley off the counter 3 more times, put the groceries away (that have now been sitting on the counter for over an hour) and change Ryker who has peed and pooped through his diaper, through his jammies and all over his new swing. SO I send Austin & Hunter outside with the twins and finish cleaning up Ryker, feed him (duh, now he's empty), call the pharmacy to try and straiten out some problems getting a prescription AND open the front door a hundred times for the kids b/c the door is broken and you can't open it from the outside, only from the inside. Oh wait.....the story is just getting good!! Finally the house is calm, Ryker is sleeping clean and peacefully in his swing and the boys are outside playing in the water and the girls are on the front porch painting their fingernails. Emmy knocks on the door to let me know that Brynn is pouring polish all over the porch, so I go outside to bring her in the house and as the door shuts Mason says, "mom, who is going to let us in the house?" Holy crap, my baby is inside, along with my phone and the door is broken!! So me and my 7 children proceed to try and break into the house. We try the side door that only has a deadbolt and a missing handle (just installed last week) but only Mason & Emmy can fit their hand through the hole and they aren't strong enough to turn the lock. The other door is locked and latched from the inside. So after 20 min. of that not working I realize that the window to the playroom is wide open b/c of the the cat pee situation. So Hunter and I get a ladder and Hunter goes up the ladder onto the roof and in the window. Out pops his head a minute later to inform me that the door is latched and he can't get out of the room. Yup, b/c I didn't want anyone going in there so I latched it. Next plan.....the boys bedroom window is broken and you can just push it open. So Hunter tries that but the window is stuck against the bed and only opens about 5 or 6 in. so he can't fit through. I have now done all I can think of and despite the fact that there are no cars at my sister in laws house next door, luckily she is home and she brings her house phone over to me. I fill her in and she says, "oh, do you know where Devin is?"...time for a little back ground; long story short....... a few months ago someone in the company drove Devins truck through a red light, picture taken, Devin gets a ticket, Devin hasn't taken care of the ticket yet, gets licence suspended, registration has expired on truck, no money to register it, insurance has expired on truck, no money to get the insurance re newed. Back to currant situation; Devin is now sitting on the side of the road somewhere b/c he has just been pulled over and the cop impounds his truck and leaves him there. So here I am still locked out of the house, husband is stranded and baby is still inside! FINALLY Austin & Hunter figure out how to get their window open and they let us in the house (it's now been over an hour in the lovely AZ heat!) .....did I mention that now the glass in the window is broken? I quickly feed and put all little children to bed to try and catch my breath (after I feed my sweet Ryker who THANK GOODNESS slept in his swing through the whole ordeal) I feed and clean up the rest of the kids, help kids do chores, clean the kitchen, switch over the laundry, re sweep (how many times is that now??), check my e-mail and start making me a yummy "fix my bad day dessert" that I will eat all by myself tonight when all little children are in bed...ok, I might share with Devin, after all he was stranded in the heat for 45 min. waiting to be rescued. :) So by this point you would think my wonderful day would be over, but I guess my sister cursed me when she said, "ok then, (after filling her in on the days events) I will make sure to call back in a few hours to get another update" The twins get up from their nap, I still haven't finished the dishes, Devin gives them a "daddy trail mix" of goldfish, pretzels and marshmallows. He leaves to go pick up my prescription from the pharmacy that after 4 more phone calls it finally ready, I feed Ryker again, finish my dessert (bed time is coming soon right?!?) clean up water that the twins have dumped all over the floor (of course along with marshmallows & pretzels) help Brinley clean up the entire container of goldfish from off the floor (duh....older children are incapable of putting it away when they are done instead of leaving it on the coffee table) and I hear a crash in the piano room that is housing ALL our crap that we cleaned out of our "storage" room last Saturday, that can't be put back in until I re-paint the walls, that didn't get done this week b/c Devin got the stomach flu. Brinley & Brigham have climbed over the folding table that is acting as a baby gate and Brinley has shattered a cute pumpkin decoration for the fall. Ok, clean that up, no big deal, it was only a few dollars at Walgreen's. I get Brigham out, somehow get sidetracked for 2 min., go back to get Brinley who has now opened 4 bottles of craft paint and has started painting the floor!! So it is now 6:30, goldfish remains have still not been swept up, I will probably feed the kids something wonderfully nutritious for dinner (you do know I'm joking right?), I'm sure I will clean up 2 or 3 more messes and re sweep yet again, hopefully finish my dishes, feed Ryker 3 more times, and maybe just maybe get to take a shower. And you better believe I am eating ALL of my "fix my bad day dessert", and NOT after kids are in bed....I am having it for dinner dang it!!
My mom said (as I was telling her about my adventures) "I can't believe you are laughing" and my response was, "only to keep from crying" :) Don't forget to check in tomorrow to see if we decided to have any more fun before bedtime comes! :)

19 comments:

Marie said...

Can't believe you found a quiet moment to sit and blog about your eventful day. I really don't know how you do it. It must be hard to hide your cape under your clothes all the time. You're amazing! Hope tomorrow is much better.

Katie said...

That was intense!

Heather said...

=( When will it ever stop!!! You guys are so much stronger then I am. I can't handle stress like that but somehow you always find a way to get through it, I really admire that about you and Devin. I do have to say I can totally see the whole story vividly unfolding in my head and there are moments when I would just have to laugh like you to keep from crying!!

Amber and Co. said...

holy cow! I feel like crying just reading that! I'm glad you survived the day!

Anonymous said...

So you swept the floor and played outside with your kids. I dont see the big deal.

Serenity said...

Girl, I don't know how you do it! Some days I barely make it with just four.

Amanda said...

WOW!!! You are superMOM!!! Ha! I'm thinking I would have just called it a day within the first hour and just locked them all outside!! LOL!!!

You for sure need a Mommy only day after all of that! Wow, so how many more kids do you want after that day????......he, he!! :o)

It sure makes me think twice about complaining about my 2!!!!!!

Victor and Annette said...

WOW... what else can I say. You are an awesome mom, what else can we do but laugh....

Sar said...

All I want to know is. . . what was the "fix your bad day dessert" that was able to fix that day? It must have been good!

I sure hope tomorrow is much, much, much calmer.

The Cronin Family said...

I don't know how you do it but you handle it pretty well! At least your never bored, right??!! :)

maelynn said...

This is by FAR the best blog I've read in MONTHS! You win!!
I even read this to my mother in law! We are dying!
Like Sar, I want to know what the dessert was!
You really are amazing!
And your baby is so cute! Love his lashes!!

The Young's said...

I'm so sorry for your awful day! I hope that you don't get too many of those. At least the kids will have something to remember, right? Okay, maybe not Ryker...but still! :)

Timar Lu said...

Although you had a bad day, wasn't it kind of a relief to write it on your blog where you know that we will all read it. We all have had days like this and completely feel for you. You have 12 comments ahead of mine so I hope you see how loved you are. P.S. I didn't get the comment on my blog that you said you left. Keep laughing.

Kristine Thompson said...

I don't know how you do it- you must be so patient. You could top John & Kate plus 8 any day!

Hollie said...

OMG IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY! I LAUGHED AND CRIED THRU THE WHOLE STORY! :) I THINK THAT IS Y I AM STICKIN TO ONLY 4 KIDS... U GO GIRL..I NEED TO MAKE SOME OF THOSE DESSERT THINGS EVERYTIME I HAVE A BAD DAY! GREAT IDEA! :)

arizonamama said...

Kristina, I know you didn't put that post up to tell us what a supermom you are but I totally think you are amazing. I'd probably have some of that "special dessert" put in a baggie and fed straight into my arm through an I.V. if I were you. I laughed and cried. What a great life for your children. They're going to be wonderful adults.

The Fears said...

oh Kristina, that will have to go down in the books as a very bad, no good terrible, horrible day. I am sorry, but I am glad you made it through.....barely!

amills12 said...

I love to read your posts, they crack me up.....I hope your yummy dessert got you through....By the way ryker is such a cute baby....

Team Caldwell said...

See that would have made for great TV, anything from the TV station yet?! ya'll would be perfect!