Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our new venture


I don't know why I haven't posted about this yet.....I really kept hoping to find some cool picture to add cuz it bugs me not to have a picture? Anyways, about a month ago Devin & I made the huge decision to leave his company that he has had for the past 8 years with his brothers, and take another job. I could go into great detail surrounding the decision, but honestly, no one wants to hear all tha t boring stuff. :) I will tell you how he got the job cuz it really was a blessing strait from the Lord. He found a position on lds.org for a company looking for a part time installer for ceiling/lighting fixtures. Cool...totally something he can do on the side until business picks up. When he went in to talk to the owner he said to him, "oh I'm sorry, that position has been filled, but let me tell you what I would like to offer you" By the time Devin walked out the door he had been offered a salary position to work as the #1 Supervisor @ this company. Running the store (selling lighting, ceiling fans and ALL kinds of flooring) as well as checking on jobs, measuring out jobs, running crews, stuff like that. It was unbelievable! The owner had two other interviews set up for later that week, but told Devin that he basically had the job if he wanted it. This was even before he got a resume from Devin or anything. We were both stunned and through much prayer and temple attendance we knew that this was the Lords way of helping us to make our financial situation better. It has been a very hard adjustment for both of us. For over 12 years Devin has basically set his own hours and been home anywhere from 2:00 to 5:00 depending on the day. I have always made any Dr.'s appointments for late in the afternoon and he could usually be home for me so I wouldn't have to take any kids with me. I am so used to having him around when I need him. Now he leaves a little before 7:00 and isn't home until 6:30-7:30. I know a lot of you are thinking, "boo, hoo, sad life for you.....after all those years of being spoiled and now you have to live like the rest of us" but yes I have been spoiled and it is taking some adjusting but I am managing. His past work schedule is what has made it so easy to do things I need to do with 8 kids. Now I am kinda on my own! The later in the day the harder it gets. For the 1st 3 days my twins would stand at the front windows by the front door for like 1/2 an hour and just cry for their dad. The kids still aren't used to it. Devin is having a hard time being away from all of us so much too. It was a huge sacrifice for him to give up his freedom to take this job to provide for us and I am so grateful that he has been willing to do whatever it takes to make things work. He is a good man and I am so blessed to have him. We have had the most amazing financial struggle of our lives over this past year, and I know we are not alone. But I know that the Lord loves us and that when we humble ourselves and try to do the simple things that He wants us to do, He is literally standing in front of us with the answers just waiting for us to grab ahold of them. I hope we never have to go through what we have been through this past year again, BUT I am a changed person, for the better, and my marriage is stronger, and I do love the Lord for giving us trials to help build us up and make us better people. He promised us that he will never give us more than we can handle, and every time, just as it feels like the whole world is going to come crashing down around me, He is always there and things always work out for the best. I am very grateful that through all of this that our family has been blessed with our health because I know that there are many families struggling with different medical problems and our hearts reach out to them. I hope all of us can remember that He is there and He wants us to be happy, sometimes it just takes a while to humble ourselves and realize that our happiness is right in front of us. Our families! They are the only thing on this earth that is important. No car, house, boat, RV, or amount of money, will ever be as important as the happiness and love that our family has.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so happy for you guys. I am glad he has found something. I know how you feel. It is hard having a routine for so long and then it changing. What a blessing though that is just awesome!! I know that if we diligently search for answers the Lord will place them in front of us and if we pay our tithing we will be blessed. I am glad you were able to escape. Everyone will get use to daddy being gone. Down the road your boys will see what an amazing dad they have(which I am sure they already know). What a great example! With parents like you guys your children will prosper more then you will ever imagine.

Sar said...

Thanks for that amazing, touching post! I agree with every word! I'm so glad things are working out with the job.

The Richins Family said...

thanks for the sweet post. i hope that everyone adjusts soon. it's hard to adjust to a new schedule i think. that was a truly touching post, and it was written so well. that's great that you are all doing great and well.

Victor and Annette said...

Congratulations on new job... Sometime change is very good!

Brandis said...

Hi, this is Donny Goodman's wife. :) I just had to comment because I can totally identify with what you're saying. Donny worked nights for the first 5 1/2 years we were married, and there were some huge perks to that schedule for both of us, but especially me. I could go grocery shopping alone while the kids were eating lunch or napping and the dr's appts were DEFINITELY easier when I only had to take the person whose appointment it was. I pouted for a little while after he went back to days because it was more difficult on me. It was better for us as a whole though, and I hope you'll be able to adjust to your new normal!

Unknown said...

I am touched by your comments. I can relate with a lot of what you are saying and times have been hard for so many that I care about including us. So I am glad to hear that things are taking a turn for good. I totally agree with your comment on being changed because of your trials. We look back at our recent trials and can see all of the personal changes that we have made and it is truly amazing.
just a side note we did have our baby there are pics on my blog.