Thursday, August 28, 2008

Food for thought


I keep wanting to start a new blog for recipe sharing & cooking tips, but it hasn't happened yet. (I know....I'm so lazy!) ;) Anyways, I just wanted to share something in the mean time. I am trying to find ways to sneek in more healthy things for my family. My husband is even worse than the kids sometimes.....even with things like trying to drink 1% milk instead of 2%! Anyways, one of my new favorites is using flaxmeal! It has TONS of nutritional benefits & I am learning about ways you can use it to substitute things like eggs, oil, & butter. I have done this in my breads and even in a store bought muffin mix (cuz I was out of eggs) and it turned out wonderful, you would NEVER know I had changed anything. PLUS I think one of the best things about learning to use flaxmeal is that we can store it in our food storage!!! Instead of paying for very pricy powdered butter and powdered eggs, you can use the flaxmeal, which is fairly inexpensive. Here is some info I copied off the web. Happy Baking!

1T flaxmeal + 3 T water (let sit for afew min.) = 1 egg
"Here are a few ways I've used the flax meal so far:
I've put a teaspoon in the kids' chocolate milk-they didn't notice.
I added a few tablespoons to my cookies- can't tell.
I put a few tablespoons in my banana bread- can't taste it.
I sprinkled a teaspoon on my oatmeal- I could taste it, but it was good."





6 comments:

Amanda said...

I didn't realize you could use flax meal as an egg substitute. I've combined it with applesauce in banana bread to substitute for the butter. Honestly, I couldn't tell much of a difference. Thanks for the info! I'll have to pull out the bag I have in my fridge and experiment!

Sar said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this out! Thanks for the info!

Linda said...

Where do you get it and how do you store it? I want to use this stuff.
Linda Kennedy(Redge's Mom)

As Told By Molly said...

Rad tip.

Thanks so much for the comment. If you ever need anyone to watch your littlest ones during the day - seriously give me a call. London would LOVE to play with someone and I would LOVE for it to not be me. :]

Michelle said...

Yes the header is with the program. I like to change my header every three months so when I get my book made it has the header I had for that time. OH YA! I got my new book and it is awesome!! You will have to come see it next time you are this way. Plus we need to get the girls together. Aubree was asking for Emmy and Liberty the other day.

Kaltaler Korner said...

I love adding flaxseed to everything. This week add it to rice as it cooked and even to brownies (it makes me think the brownies are "healthy")